February 14, 2018 – New Book Cover
Title: TRS-80 Word Processing with SuperScripsit
Author: David Kater
TOSEC: TRS-80 Word Processing with SuperScripsit (1985)(McGraw-Hill)
February 15, 2018 – New Book Cover
Title: Some Common BASIC Programs TRS-80 Level II Edition
Author: Lon Poole, Mary Borchers, Karl Koessel
TOSEC: Some Common BASIC Programs TRS-80 Level II Edition (1981)(Osborne)
February 21, 2018 – New Book Cover
Title: Student Guide for Learning BASIC Volume II
Author: Fritz J Erickson and John A Vonk
Publisher: Learning Publications Inc.
TOSEC: Student Guide for Learning BASIC Volume II (1984)(Fritz Erickson)
February 22, 2018 – New Book Cover
Title: Computer Games for the TRS-80 (1981)(Winthrop Publishers)
Author: J Victor Nahigian and William S Hodges
Publisher: Winthrop Publishers
TOSEC: Computer Games for the TRS-80 (1981)(Winthrop Publishers)
February 24, 2018 – New Book Cover
Title: Structured Program Design with TRS-80 BASIC
Author: Thomas Dwyer and Margot Critchfield
TOSEC: Structured Program Design with TRS-80 BASIC (1984)(Thomas Dwyer)
March 5, 2018 – New Book Cover
Title: Tenderfoot’s Guide to Word Processing
Author: Barbara S. Chirlian
Publisher: dilithium Press
TOSEC: Tenderfoot’s Guide to Word Processing (1982)(dilithium Press)
March 8, 2018 – New Issue of TRS8Bit
Dusty has released the March 2018 issue of the TRS8Bit newsletter on his trs-80.org.uk web site.
- PAGE 03 – IN MAV’S WORKSHOP: Using Co-Co Drives on a M1/M3/M4
- PAGE 07 – To /BAS in Easy Stages
- PAGE 10 – A review of the Colour Genie
- PAGE 16 – In Mav’s Workshop: TRS-80 Linepinter VI
- PAGE 25 – Binary Countdown
- PAGE 27 – Postacards to the Editor
- PAGE 29 – The FreHD Adapter
- PAGE 37 – In Mav’s Workshop: TRS-80 Farming Articles
- PAGE 47 – Competition
- PAGE 48 – Ebay.co.UK Review
- PAGE 49 – Deal or No Deal – A New TRS-80 Game!
- PAGE 37 – In Mav’s Workshop: Model 4 Roundup
March 9, 2018 – New Book Covers
Title: Assembly Language Programming for the TRS-80 Model 16
Author: Dan Keen & Dave Dischert
Publisher: Tab Books
TOSEC: Assembly Language Programming for the TRS-80 Model 16 (1984)(Tab Books)
Title: Clean Slate Word Processing for the TRS-80
Author: Henry Melton
Publisher: Howard W Sams
TOSEC: Clean Slate Word Processing for the TRS-80 (1983)(Howard W Sams)
Title: Foolproof Guide to SCRIPSIT Word Processing
Author: Jeff Berner
TOSEC: Foolproof Guide to SCRIPSIT Word Processing (1983)(Sybex)
Title: TRS-80 Disk BASIC for Business for the Model II and Model III
Author: Alan J Parker
TOSEC: TRS-80 Disk BASIC for Business for the Model II and Model III (1982)(Alan J Parker)
Title: TRS-80 Teaching Aid
Author: Edward Burns
TOSEC: TRS-80 Teaching Aid (1984)(Reston Publishing)
Title: Using the Radio Shack TRS-80 in Your Home
Author: Kenniston W Lord
Publisher: Van Nostrand Company
TOSEC: Using the Radio Shack TRS-80 in Your Home (19xx)(Van Nostrand Company)
March 11, 2018 – Komtek I
David Mutimer, a site visitor, used to work for the Australian distributor of a Hong Kong made TRS-80 clone called the Komtek. He has provided 3 manuals and schematics so that they do not get lost in time. Thank you, Mike!
March 14, 2018 – New Book Cover
Title: Learning Pascal Step by Step
Author: Vern McDermott, Andrew Young, Diana Fisher
Publisher: Computer Science Press
TOSEC: Learning Pascal Step by Step (1985)(Computer Science Press)
March 21, 2018 – Video About One Model III Repair
Sean Byrd has uploaded a video to YouTube discussing his recent acquisition of a Model III, and what he had to do to get it working.
April 23, 2018 – TRS-80 Model I Free for Local Pickup
A site visitor located in Alexandria, Virgina has the following hardware, software, and magazines available for free but for local pickup only.
- Two (2) Model 4Ps (not sure of working order)
- Original TRS-80 Model 4 software manual binders and disks (abt. 14, such as Payroll, Dow Jones, Deskmate, Formation, etc.)
- One TRS-80 Mode 1 (not sure of working order)
- One TRS-80 Expansion Interface
- One Quick Printer II
- Complete Set of the TRS-80 Encyclopedia
- Complete Set of Eighty-Micro Magazine (All Issues)
- Almost complete set of Radio Shack Computer Catalogs (1 or two missing)
- Complete Set (I think?) of TRS-80 Microcomputer News
- Many TRS-80 books (abt. 28)
As always, to keep away those would say “hey, would you ship” (when the above states local pickup only), please contact me if you can do a local pickup and I will relay in the order received.
April 26, 2018 – Note for SVD Users
Andy Silverman was kind enough to point out that the existing software for the SVD does not function under Windows 10. The workaround is to use the CYGWIN1.DLL as is currently packaged with CYGWIN. Download CYGWIN, install, and pull the file from Cygwin\bin.
May 16, 2018 – TRS-80 TRS-80 Trash – Episode 23
TRS-80 Trash Talk # 23 is out. In this episode the Trash Talkers welcome vintage computing podcast pioneer David Greelish as a guest host. Pete, Ian and David discuss how Tandy reacted to the the introduction of the IBM Personal Computer in 1981. Tandy Radio Shack had all the advantages with its massive distribution network, its existing business focused Model II computer and with the forthcoming powerful Tandy 2000 computer. How the company attempted to compete with IBM and eventually failed is the main focus of the discussion.
The podcast’s home page is http://www.trs80trashtalk.com.
May 23, 2018 – PLAYCAS Updated to v2.0
PLAYCAS allows you to connect a TRS-80 cassette input to a PC soundcard so as to capture the software for use in an emulator or archiving. Knut Roll-Lund has recently updated it to v2.0 with the following notes:
- Old Play CAS unfortunately had a bug of type copy-paste. It could not load read-only cas files. Easy bugfix. This lead to me making a new vesion also changing the user interface a little and adding a feature. The save features was kind of hidden so adding a few buttons for this and removing my entries from the option menu.
- Save text saves the anaysis content and may be used to detokenize basic for example or recover the source code for edtasm stuff.
- Save wav saves the prepared wav based on your load (storing programs as wav is not efficient but might be convenient. This wav is kind of perfectly formed and better than anything from real cassette.
- LNW 1kHz (new feature in 2.0) whenever enabled modifies the wav to go at double speed. So any TRS-80 with zip kit etc. at double speed can now load cassette without dropping to regular speed.
PLAYCAS can be downloaded from Knut’s web site here.
May 23, 2018 – Frank Durda IV
Paul T Schreiber has some information that should be of interest to anyone with an interest in the TRS-80. Everything that says “I” below is Paul … this is a cut and paste …”
Some of you may be familiar with former Tandy R&D engineer Frank Durda IV who recently passed away.
Frank was a SW (and also a bit of HW) genius. Really. A more loyal Tandy employee/fanatic does not exist. And he kept EVERYTHING.
Frank left, most importantly, a wife and 4month old daughter, a daughter he never saw, or got to hold, as he was hospitalized during her birth and died, without regaining consciousness, soon after.
His wife Corrine now has the task to sort through Frank’s “collection”, which by my estimate, is over 300 file boxes of “stuff”. The Tandy stuff appears to range from Model 2/3 up to the AST computers (4000SX). I even uncovered a box of VIS hand controllers [shudder].
Frank and his team wrote the BIOS/drivers for probably 100 things, as well as TRS-DOS/LDOS/XENIX and so on.
It’s going to take MONTHS to get it all sorted (she lives about a 40min drive from me), today I just grabbed the first 12 boxes in the garage I could access (there was a 1964 Teletype machine in the way).
What I plan to go is sort as follows:
a) SW – floppies, SyQuest drives, 8mm tape. You name it, Frank has it.
b) HW – board add-in boards and full computers. I counted about 12 Tandy computers. There may be 50 more, I don’t know. There are 100s (yes 100s) of add-in boards.
c) books/manuals – I spotted several HW Reference manuals, a FORTRAN binder, and a photocopied dBase III manual. About 70% are Tandy originals, 30% copies.
What is the goal? The goal is 2-fold:
1 – Preservation
2 – raise funds for Frank’s wife & baby daughter
Now, as we all are aware, this stuff is HEAVY. I’m in Texas, and have Fed-Ex, UPS, and USPS options. In some cases, I will put individual items/small lots on eBay, but for the most part, this stuff will be sold by weight. Like $15/pound or some such. I some cases I will be specific, other cases might me a “treasure chest of Tandy Wonder”.
Now, I was 100% a HW designer at Tandy, but I have a few ex-R&D folks in my network I can see if they remember this stuff. If you are collecting ‘rare’ Tandy items, the 2nd box I looked in had 2 internal R&D use boards that were the audio and video portions of the Tandy Sensation! PC. Only 3 sets were made (2 for Tandy and 1 for MicroSoft) and Frank has a Tandy set (I even forgot I designed them!). These were used to write the drivers before the ‘real hardware’ was developed, and they were also used for the VIS development.
I hope to have ‘a new batch of stuff’ every 2-3 weeks. Mainly, I want this stuff to find “good homes”, not to be flipped. I want to be able to have a decent amount of $$$ for his family.
Lastly: Frank ran a few ISPs as well. I’m not an ‘IT Guy’ by a LONG shot. But he has 10-20 Cisco doo-dads as well (1U rack routers, etc). I’ll post a few photos for giggles, and next week hope to have the first batch for sale.
For those interested in helping Frank’s widow, please go the her GoFundMe page found at https://www.gofundme.com/thefightforfrank.
June 3, 2018 – New Issue of TRS8Bit
- PAGE 04 – Random Numbers
- PAGE 08 – Rick Dickinson Obituary
- PAGE 12 – Frank Durda IV Obituary
- PAGE 13 – In Mavs Workshop – Lineprinter VII
- PAGE 23 – Sierpinski’s Sieve – One liner
- PAGE 24 – The Way We Were – Articles from 80US
- PAGE 30 – In Mavs Workshop – New products
- PAGE 41 – Update on M2 Repair
- PAGE 43 – Competition Page
- PAGE 46 – EBAY Bargains
- PAGE 48 – Curing the Model 1 Screen Wiggle
July 1, 2018 – TRS-80 TRS-80 Trash – Episode 24
TRS-80 Trash Talk # 24 is out. In this episode, Trash Talkers Peter Cetinski and Ian Mavric welcome the Summer of 2018 (at least in the North) with a bunch of TRS-80 news and current events updates. We discuss the upcoming Tandy Assembly 2018, a new TRS-80 Model I diagnostics cartridge and do some eBay shopping. Then, we interview former Tandy Radio Shack employee Ken Brookner. Ken served in many roles at Tandy Radio Shack in Fort Worth, as he climbed the ladder in technical support, starting as a phone rep and ending up as director of the department.
The podcast’s home page is http://www.trs80trashtalk.com.
July 6, 2018 – Tandy Assembly 18 (Nov 10th)
Tandy Assembly 18 will be held on November 10th and 11th in Springfield, Ohio.
Registration is $10 per attendee, but children 12 and under are free.
You can register at their site http://www.tandyassembly.com.
August 27, 2018 – More Download Permissions
Thanks to the magic that is Facebook, the following authors have given permission to make their software downloadable.
- Bryan Eggers (Music)
- Nickolas Marentes (Games)
- Charles Forsythe (Adventures)
Thank you all!
August 30, 2018 – Sad News
A site visitor let me know that Leo Christopherson appears to have passed away in 2016. Bryan Eggers also advised that his programming partner, Larry Payne, recently passed as well. Rest in peace gentlemen.
September 6, 2018 – New Issue of TRS8Bit
Dusty has released the June 2018 issue of the TRS8Bit newsletter on the download page of his web site.
- PAGE 04 – Competition Entries and Result
- PAGE 07 – TRS80 GP v2.0.4 now released
- PAGE 08 – In Mav’s Workshop (DOM Cards)
- PAGE 13 – Palindromes – Do Geese See God
- PAGE 15 – In Mav’s Workshop (Tandy Assembly)
- PAGE 21 – The Way We Were – Two Chess Programs / LDOS
- PAGE 37 – In Mavs Workshop – Extender Boards
- PAGE 43 – EBAY U.K. Bargains
- PAGE 46 – In Mav’s Workshop – Printers – Part 6
September 7, 2018 – Updated TRS-80 Emulator
George and Peter Phillips have released trs80gp version 2.0.4.
- Model II emulation (and Model I, III and 4 as previously)
- Hires graphics support
- Floppy and Cassette emulation
- Software Keyboard
- Automatic keyboard input
- Turbo Mode
- Source-level debugging and many other programming features
It runs on Windows 10, 8, 7 and maybe even XP and Vista. Runs well under Wine on Mac and Linux
Learn more and get it at http://48k.ca/trs80gp.html.
October 28, 2018 – 3 Announcements
November 21, 2018 – This Week in TRS-80
This weeks release of Ian Mavric’s new semi-weekly series called “This week in TRS-80” can be found Here.
December 6, 2018 – New Magazine and Video
New This Week in TRS-80 – December 3rd
- View here.
- Model III/4 contrast and brightness controls
- Orchestra 90 for the Model III/4
- Serial port for the Model I
New TRS8Bit – December 2018
- Travelling Mav – A review of TA 2018
- Christmas Wishes
- Mavs Workshop – Model I Power Supply
- Obituary – Paul Allen
- Pick 2
- The Great Snail Race – One Liner
- In Mav’s Workshop – Daisy Wheel Printers
- Flower Power – BASIC Program by George Philips
- In Mav’s Workshop – 2019 Developments
- Software Review – TBA (The BASIC Answer)