Drive Replacement for a REAL Model I/III/4
This page covers the modern hardware which can be used to replace Floppy Drives in a real TRS-80.
HxC Floppy Drive Replacement for a REAL Model I/III/4
The SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator designed by Jean-François Del Nero, emulates a 34 pin floppy drive and treats DSK and DMK images which are stored on a SD card as actually floppy disks. To be clear, this product is designed to be mounted in/on an actual TRS-80, as a drive on the floppy cable.
It can emulate one or two drives, and disk images are mounted using the three buttons on the lower right, which are NEXT, SELECT/EJECT, and PREVIOUS. The filenames are shown on the LCD, which comes in a variety of colors.
Current features of the SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator are:
- Modes Supported: Shugart and PC
- Two floppy disk drives emulation
- 5V +/- 10% standard power floppy connector input
- 3 LEDs (“Power LED”,”Floppy access LED”,” SDCard access LED “)
- 3 buttons (“Next”,”Select/Eject”,”Previous”)
- 1 audio transducer
- 2*16 chars Alphanumerical LCD (LCD and buttons can be put on an external front panel)
- SD Card up to 2GB / SDHC Card supported up to 32GB
- FAT32 supported. Subdirectory and long name file supported
- Track mode based floppy emulator (Full track pre-encoded in the HFE image file)
- Write support: ISO MFM 256/512/1024 Bytes sector write supported, ISO FM/SD 128/256/512/1024 Bytes sector write supported.
- Bitrate support: 250/300Kbits/s (DD floppies), 500Kbits/s (HD floppies)
- RPM support: 300, 360
- Tracks / Side support: Up to 256 tracks per floppy, 1 or 2 sides.